BIND 8.2.2 crashed

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Mar 13 01:15:55 UTC 2001

> I am running BIND 8.2.2 on an OpenBSD machine. I know I should upgrade to
> 8.2.3, but it runs chrooted as a lowly user.
>
> It died on Friday with the following being the last entry in
> /var/log/daemon:
>
> Mar  9 20:00:15 claudette named[4773]: bad referral
> (174.147.192.in-addr.arpa !< 173.174.147.192.in-addr.
> arpa)
>
> Any ideas on this? Normally it is very stable, so I am wondering if I have
> been the victim of a DOS attack. If so, what sort of things should I be
> looking for.

	I get amazed at people sometimes.  You know that you have
	a vulnerable version of named, don't take the 5 minutes it
	takes to upgrade, then waste thousands of peoples time
	asking about what to look for when someone finds your
	server.  It just doesn't add up.

	Unless they managed to get out of the jail you should be
	ok however I would upgrade, reboot to ensure that the
	compromised process is no longer running, and check the
	contents of the jail to ensure it integrity.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com