Running BIND 4.9.3 on Solaris 8

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 14 00:44:27 UTC 2001

If named was looking for named.conf, it's almost certainly a BIND 8 named
(unless somehow a BIND 9 nameserver snuck in there by mistake!) I would
recommend just jumping to BIND 8 -- that's what Sun supports these days,
after all. There's a "named-bootconf" utility in the BIND distribution (and
also in /usr/sbin, as part of SUNWcsu). This can convert your old named.boot
file into an equivalent named.conf file. Be aware, however, that BIND 8.2.3
is somewhat pickier about zonefile syntax and semantics than BIND 4 ever was.
You'll need to put a "$TTL xxxx" (replace "xxxx" with your desired default
TTL value) at the top of all your master files. And watch out for "CNAME and
other data", multiple CNAMEs with the same name, and underscore problems. You
can suppress the underscore problems with the "check-names" option.

If you're not that brave, just get BIND 4 up and running, and hack
/etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc to look for /etc/named.boot instead of /etc/named.conf.
Or, even kludgier, just "touch /etc/named.conf"...

- Kevin