Network is unreachable

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Wed Mar 14 14:36:56 UTC 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 06:07:37AM +0000, BryanL123 wrote:
> In my never-ending quest to figure out why my windows won't resolve from my
> linux DNS server, i stumbled upon the following line in /var/log/messages :
> named[7992] : sysquery: sendto([198.41.0.4].53) : Network is unreachable

Hi Bryan,

198.41.0.4 is A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET -- one of the server for the root zone.
BIND on your Linux box needs to talk to a server for the root zone to
get a list of the current set of servers for the root. It can't do that
because it's been told the network A is homed on is unreacheable.

Regards,
james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's