Can't look up local names

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 15 16:34:53 UTC 2001

Hmmm.
Dunno, generally, about any problems.
In fact, I vaguely remember that some situations *required* the entry.

However, for my RH 6.2 and for HP-UX, it works with or without the local
host listed as a nameserver.

Viz., both

linux1# cat /etc/res*f
search vance lab.sbm.com atl.sbm.com sbm.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

*and*

linux1# cat /etc/res*f
search vance lab.sbm.com atl.sbm.com sbm.com
#nameserver 127.0.0.1

work.

However, if I want to have more than one nameserver statement *and* have
the local host be used first, then I *must* list it.

E.g., my file actually is:

linux1# cat /etc/res*f
search vance lab.sbm.com atl.sbm.com sbm.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.100

"Why?", you ask :)

Well, this allows me to take down 'named' on the local box and yet
*still* resolve names while on this box via 192.168.1.100, which is
another box.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511