Sender domain must resolve...

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Fri Mar 16 23:34:32 UTC 2001

Part of the problem is a Cisco NAT that the hostmaster at utc.edu says
they use. Here is some information from a Cisco FAQ telling what they
do.

Q. Does Cisco IOS NAT support DNS queries?

A. Yes, Cisco IOS NAT will translate the address(es) which appear in DNS
Thus, if an outside host sends a name-lookup to a DNS server on the
inside, and that server responds with a local address, the NAT code will
translate that local address to a global address. The opposite is also
true, and is how we support IP addresses overlapping: an inside host
queries an outside DNS server, the response contains an address that
matches the access-list specified on the "outside source" command, so
the code translates the outside global address to an outside local
address.

Time-to-live (TTL) values on all DNS resource records (RRs) which
receive address translations in RR payloads are automatically set to
zero.

Cisco IOS NAT does not translate IP addresses embedded in DNS zone
transfers.

Regards,
Jim