Can't find server name for address xxx

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 17 01:23:05 UTC 2001

/etc/hosts plays no part here, and the /etc/resolv.conf contents just confirms
that nslookup is failing over to the second nameserver because it's having
trouble using the first one.

By the way, why did you attempt to "anonymize" the names and addresses of
ns3.we-host.com (216.37.47.20) and ns4.we-host.com (216.37.14.186)? Was there
something you hoped to accomplish by doing that? All it did is make
troubleshooting this problem slightly harder than it would have been otherwise.

In any case, as you can see, the first nameserver that nslookup tried has an
address in a *different* range than the second nameserver that it tried. It just
so happens that the reverse zone for the 216.37.47.* address range is totally
broken (all of the delegated nameservers return SERVFAIL), but the reverse zone
for the 216.37.14.* range is OK.

Note that if you had used "dig" instead of nslookup, then the inability to
reverse-resolve the first nameserver's address wouldn't have caused a failover
to the second nameserver. This is just one of the many ways in which nslookup
sucks.

- Kevin