Rev (Hidden Segment) Lookups in split environment

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 17 01:47:36 UTC 2001

If you have recursion turned off, then resolvers can only get what's in
your cache and authoritative data. Best practice is for your public
nameserver to turn off recursion *completely* (options { recursion no;
...) so that there's no possibility of anyone external getting internal
data out of your nameserver's cache. Of course, that means you can't use
that public nameserver to resolve any internal names. Typically, one
would therefore run a separate "private" instance of named to provide
resolution of internal names.

- Kevin