Rev (Hidden Segment) Lookups in split environment

Thomas Duterme thomas at madeforchina.com
Fri Mar 16 19:45:42 UTC 2001

Hello everyone,

I'm running a split DNS setup for my office.  On the
external public IP nameservers, I want to map out the PTR
records for the internal private IP segment.  Note, most of
those IP addresses are private IP, but I still don't want to
advertise the network topology to anyone outside the company
(keeping in line with my reasoning for a split IP
architecture).

My current external servers restrict zone transfers and
recursive queries.  Am I correct in thinking that foreign
resolvers pointed to my external nameservers will NOT be
able to lookup those PTR records?

TIA,
Thomas