forwarding queries to another server (how?)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Mar 17 02:39:26 UTC 2001

peter at technical-reality.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an internal domain, say foo.bar.com.  I have a name server
> behaving properly for it.  Call it nsfoo.
>
> Now I have set up a test environment domain, say test.bar.com.  Note
> that it's not a subdomain of the first.
>
> I want a name server (nstest) on test.bar.com to handle its own
> queries.  That is, when nsfoo receives those queries it makes nstest
> deal with them.
>
> In named.conf on nsfoo I have the following entry:
>
> zone "test.bar.com" {
>         type forward;
>         forward only;
>         forwarders{
>                 172.xxx.xxx.xxx;
>         };
> };
>
> But alas it doesn't work.

It should, assuming you have the necessary network connectivity between
nsfoo and nstest, and that nstest allows nsfoo to query it. Be aware,
however, that if nsfoo has the answer cached, then it doesn't *need* to
forward the query to nstest. So not every query for a "test.bar.com"
name will necessarily generate a forwarded query -- only the uncached
ones will.

> Do I need to configure my forward RR's ?

What's a "forward RR"?