nsupdate for soa / mx records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 22 02:02:05 UTC 2001

Bryan Hodgson wrote:

> > The Dynamic Update RFC (2136) explicitly forbids the creation or deletion
> > of SOA records. This was purposely done to sabotage zone-creation and
> > -delegation through Dynamic Update. For what reason, I still haven't been
> > able to clearly ascertain...
> >

> OK.
>

> > MX records shouldn't be a problem, though. I use nsupdate occasionally to
> > update MX records. Are you absolutely sure that the MX record changes
> > aren't "taking"?
> >

> Well ... it appears that I mis-spoke.  Although I wasn't getting answers
> returned from dig, when I shut down named the MX records had been written
> to the zone file.  So I'm going to go back and get that one again.
>
> It does seem impossible to add "        IN MX 99 name" to handle the zone
> as a whole, but I suspect that problem is nsupdate's parsing mechanism.

I wouldn't call that a "problem". nsupdate doesn't claim to recognize "master
file" syntax, and in any case, it doesn't have any context with which to
determine that leading whitespace really means zone xyz.com. nsupdate requires
one to explicitly specify the owner name of the record one is updating.