Redundancy / Dynamic DNS query

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 22 02:29:15 UTC 2001

Sure, you could have some script run the "nsupdate" utility to add and delete
records from that name. See the documentation for nsupdate. Or use the Dynamic
Update features of the Net::DNS Perl module.

But be aware, that unless you set your TTL value very low (which will increase
the traffic on your servers), other nameservers which use cached answers may
still tell their clients to go to "dead" servers even after you update the
address list.

I hope you're not planning to build this mechanism to make an SMTP service more
available; MX records already exist to deal with failover and/or load-balancing
requirements in the SMTP context.

- Kevin