question on retry and notifications in v8.2.3

Thomas Duterme thomas at madeforchina.com
Thu Mar 22 22:21:44 UTC 2001

Just looking for a confirmation on the following.

If I update a master server and send a SIGHUP to named, it will automatically send out notify messages to the defined slaves after a few seconds.

If so, then what is the point of the refresh value in the SOA?  A secondary name server would never have to use this since the master would send out notification on any changes, right?  Or is this something left in to make sure that the slave would update regardless of whether or not the master broadcast message was heard?  (ie in case of network problems, does the master continue to send out multiple notifies, or does it act like the elitist that it is and essentially say 'to hell with the slaves, its beneath me to notify them more than once.')

TIA,
Thomas