Thanks to Kevin Darcy on June 12, 2000 I am half working

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Mar 23 06:15:01 UTC 2001

At 04:59 PM 3/22/01, Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 8:30 PM +0000 3/22/01, Jim Reid wrote:
>
> >  It looks like someone didn't follow the installation instructions and
> >  compile BIND8 properly. Or the config and install process is broken,
> >  which is possible but unlikely.
>
>         Ahh, okay.  I knew it was a problem, but obviously I missed where
>the problem actually stems.

         You missed the fact that he's running on WinNT which he didn't mention.
That DESTRUN is a dead giveaway to the fact that he's running a version
of BIND prior to 8.2.3.  That was one of the first things that I fixed on 8.2.3.
He needs to upgrade to the latest release of BIND 8.2.3 on NT.

> >  BTW, rndc.conf only applies to BIND9 which does not use Unix domain
> >  sockets for controlling the name server.
>
>         Oh.  I wasn't aware that it didn't allow the use of Unix sockets.
>I thought you had a choice of Unix or IP sockets.  Interesting.

         You don't get those kinds of choices on WinNT. The socket error relates
to it's inability to run ndc on NT and in fact the program is not there. That particular
error message about the sockets just got fixed for WinNT.  The error doesn't affect
the running of the server and can be safely ignored.

         Danny