underscores in hostname

Pete Peterson petersonp at genrad.com
Fri Mar 23 14:06:02 UTC 2001

> From bind-users-bounce at isc.org  Fri Mar 23 08:21:37 2001
> From: HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: underscores in hostname

> Hi there
>
> okay okay okay I know that underscores _ are NOT allowed in hostnames.
>
> However, i'm in an environment with a lot of crap, and tons of names with
> underscores.
>
> I run Bind 8.2.3 on solaris (in lab), and it rejects the hostnames.
> 8.1.2 warned but continued.
>
> Is there any solution to stop Bind from rejecting hostnames with _'s?
> I looked through the 8.2.3 docs, but couldn't find anything.
>
> Or is this a 'get the source and modify the parser' action?
>
> Sincerely Yours
> Gody Keijzer

When I first ran into this problem after inheriting a zone with bad names,
I discovered that BIND would wouldn't accept A-records with underscores,
but WOULD accept CNAMES with underscores.  I made a script which changed
the underscores to hyphens and then added a CNAME with the underscored
version.  This gave time to phase out the bogus names while keeping BIND
happy.  This still works fine with 8.2.3; I haven't any 9.x nameservers
yet.

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        petersonp at genrad.com or rep at genrad.com
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);  +1-978-256-5829 (Home: Chelmsford, MA)
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)