inserting a . when I do not want one.

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Sat Mar 24 06:00:04 UTC 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:10:57 -0600, Christopher L. Barnard wrote:

>So my question is, how do I tell the named that I know when a dot is needed,
>and when it is not there it is probably because I don't want it...

You don't; you tell the *resolver*. (Name servers only handle FQDN's.
It's the resolver's job to expand an abbreviated name to an FQDN before
submitting it to a name server.) Check the man page for resolv.conf for
option ndots.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]