no caching a forwaded aswers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 26 19:07:53 UTC 2001

0 TTL is legal.

Perhaps you are beginning to realize the limitations of using DNS as a
load-balancing mechanism. You can only get it to operate semi-reliably by
*disabling* one of the most important features of the protocols (i.e.
caching).

This is why high-performance load-balancing is usually done at a lower
level than DNS, e.g. Cisco Local Director. The best you can get from
DNS alone is *rough* load-balancing, and only at the cost of increasing
DNS traffic significantly for your server and all of the servers that are
querying it.

- Kevin