NS record question

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Mar 26 21:22:55 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Bob Vance wrote:

> Oh, thanks, Roy.
> Now, I'm really confused :)
>
> >The master does not send NOTIFY to servers specified by zone-cut NS
> >records.
>
> Well, what NS records *does* it use??

A nameserver sends NOTIFY to its APEX NS RR.

Let me explain APEX NS RR:

The NS RR records with the same name as the SOA RR.

Let me explain zone-cut NS RR:

The NS RR records with a different name as the SOA RR.

> (Of course, I believe that in our context -- same server -- all the NS
> records appear together for the child zone, regardless of where they
> came from).

Thats a "feature" of bind-8.

> >The question was what the problems would be when zone-cut NS
> >records were removed from the zone, when the cutted zone (child zone,
> >delegated zone) resides on the same server.
>
> Right.
> And I think that there is *no* problem, as my other post mentioned.

Sure, fine,

Then, tell me, how did you know that the set of masters/slaves were
identical for both parent and child zones. I did not see that anywhere
specified.

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum