NS/whois problem (newbie)

Matthijs Koot mkoot at acsi-gids.com
Mon May 14 07:33:49 UTC 2001

There is something strange going on during the hostname lookup of one
of my domains - the domain gabbertown.com. I used it mainly for
testing several (free and paid) DNS services.

Finally, I built a website on VirtualAve, and pointed the NS for that
domain to the nameservers of VirtualAve (ns1/ns2.freevirtual.net). The
hostname gabbertown.com resolves correctly to the IP address of a
VirtualAve server, but strangely enough, www.gabbertown.com does NOT
resolve to the same address -  in stead, it still resolves to an IP
address I pointed it to in an A record while testing one of the
(other) DNS services (I believe it was granitecanyon.com).

It should resolve to the same IP address gabbertown.com resolves to,
and I have _no_ idea where/how to change the record for
www.gabbertown.com, I am a newbie on this area.

Looking at the output of the whois queries below, it looks a bit like
a virtual host/domain, I guess.

#whois gabbertown.com:
   Domain Name: GABBERTOWN.COM
   Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
   Referral URL: www.opensrs.org
   Name Server: NS1.FREEVIRTUAL.NET
   Name Server: NS2.FREEVIRTUAL.NET
   Updated Date: 17-feb-2001
==> this seems to be correct

#whois gabbertown.com:
   Server Name: WWW.GABBERTOWN.COM
   IP Address: 194.109.62.251
   Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
   Referral URL: www.opensrs.org
==> I have NO idea how this got here? ;-)

#host -a gabbertown.com
gabbertown.com          NS      NS1.FREEVIRTUAL.NET
gabbertown.com          NS      NS2.FREEVIRTUAL.NET
gabbertown.com          SOA     ns1.virtualave.NET
hostmaster.virtualave.NET (
                        1       ;serial (version)
                        900     ;refresh period (15 minutes)
                        300     ;retry interval (5 minutes)
                        604800  ;expire time (1 week)
                        3600    ;default ttl (1 hour)
                        )
==> this seems to be correct again

#host -a www.gabbertown.com
www.gabbertown.com      A       194.109.62.251
==> ...and this is wrong

====
Now I want to check the A record on the VirtualAve nameservers:
=====
	#nslookup www.gabbertown.com
	Server:  ns1.freevirtual.net
	Address:  208.146.45.4

	Name:    www.gabbertown.com
	Address:  208.146.45.41
==> this seems to be correct

Is there anybody who an explain _where_ there is some
"www.gabbertown.com --> 194.109.62.251"
record, and how/where I can change or delete it?

The 194.109.62.251 is a static IP address our company is now actually
using for webmail, and it's pretty stupid that everyone surfing to
www.gabbertown.com is seeing our webmail login screen...

Any help would really be appreciated!

Best regards,

Matthijs Koot