Problem with forwarding reverse DNS queries

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon May 14 22:11:08 UTC 2001

bweaver at orincon.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Need some help with my current DNS config.  I currently have 2 DNS forward
> only servers on the DMZ of my network.  They forward in to a master and
> slave DNS server.  I pointed all forward DNS queries to go straight to the
> two forwarders and all works well.  I am encountering problems with my
> reverse queries.  I have ARIN pointing to my upstream provider (icg), and
> they point to my two dns servers on the DMZ.  When a query comes in the
> forwarder will respond that it does not know the A record.  An nslookup on
> the machine will yeild the correct name.  Once the name is then in the
> cache all works well from outside queries.  Any help would be appreciated.

You can't get reliable nameservice by delegating a domain to a forwarder.
This is because most nameserver-to-nameserver queries are non-recursive. You
should replace the forwarding arrangements with master/slave arrangements for
both your forward and reverse zone.

BTW, reverse records are PTR records, not A records.