Delegating class C's

Robert Gahl bgahl at bawcsa.org
Tue May 15 23:10:06 UTC 2001

At 06:35 PM 5/15/2001 -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

>Close.  Very close.

That's a good sign :)

> > ; File /etc/dns/primary/zone.192.168.0
>
>No, zone.192.168.  Your zone.192.168.0 file is for your QA network.

Okay, I think I understand. You don't need that trailing 0 if you are using
the entire class C. You only need that trailing value if you use 64 or 128
or whatever addresses (partial class C reference). I also gather now that
the way one writes the in-addr.arpa string is very, very important (which
would explain errors I have seen when I first started messing with BIND).

>No, this is the most important part:

Implemented.

>It is in the zone.192.168.* files that you will have your PTR records,
>just as you currently do!
>
>Please note: the NS records listed for the child in the parent domain
>MUST match those in the child domain.

Are you saying that if in my records, I call a machine
qans.qa.fireclick.com, and associate that with a given IP address, the QA
domain holder must also call the machine by the same name (i.e., we can't
have two different names for the same box)?

>OBTW: search in the archives for something with a name something like
>reverse DNS tutorial.  If you can't find it, I'll re-post it.

Thanks, Joe. I have had partial class C's delegated to me, and I was just
following that nomenclature. I apparently pushed the practical example too
far :) I'll look in the archives for the reverse DNS tutorial. After this
discussion, the information on page 215 of the 3rd edition of DNS & BIND
makes more sense. This was the first time I was the delegator, not the
delegatee :)

And, again, thanks for the archive reference. Sometimes even coming up with
the right key words for me proves difficult.

===
Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile ||     @
     ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org     ||  !_ \
"Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
king." Chinese Proverb