Delegating class C's

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue May 15 23:32:59 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:10:06PM -0700, Robert Gahl wrote:
> > > ; File /etc/dns/primary/zone.192.168.0
> >
> >No, zone.192.168.  Your zone.192.168.0 file is for your QA network.
>
> Okay, I think I understand. You don't need that trailing 0 if you are using
> the entire class C. You only need that trailing value if you use 64 or 128
> or whatever addresses (partial class C reference). I also gather now that
> the way one writes the in-addr.arpa string is very, very important (which
> would explain errors I have seen when I first started messing with BIND).

No.

zone.192.168 refers to the pseudo-class-B 192.168.*.*.  16-bit netmask,
65536 addresses.

zone.192.168.0 refers to the sort-of-class-C 192.168.0.*.  24-bit
netmask, 256 addresses.

zone.192.168.17 likewise refers to the sort-of-class-C 192.168.17.*.
24-bit netmask, 256 addresses.

For anything with a larger than 24-bit netmask - and therefore fewer
than 256 addresses, which is what I think you were saying with your
"partial class C", you use the RFC 2317 cleverhack.

> >It is in the zone.192.168.* files that you will have your PTR records,
> >just as you currently do!
> >
> >Please note: the NS records listed for the child in the parent domain
> >MUST match those in the child domain.
>
> Are you saying that if in my records, I call a machine
> qans.qa.fireclick.com, and associate that with a given IP address, the QA
> domain holder must also call the machine by the same name (i.e., we can't
> have two different names for the same box)?

Hunh?

I don't see where that came from.

I don't care what you call the machine.  You can have umpty names for
it.  And technically you don't always have to use the same name for
each machine, although consistency certainly assists comprehension.
But if you have a list of machines that are your master and slave
servers, then that list of machines must be in the zone file for that
zone.  AND that list of machines must be in the zone file of the
delegating parent, associated with the parent's child zone [the one
about which we're talking].

Do you need a more specific example?

> >OBTW: search in the archives for something with a name something like
> >reverse DNS tutorial.  If you can't find it, I'll re-post it.
>
> Thanks, Joe. I have had partial class C's delegated to me, and I was just
> following that nomenclature. I apparently pushed the practical example too
> far :) I'll look in the archives for the reverse DNS tutorial. After this
> discussion, the information on page 215 of the 3rd edition of DNS & BIND
> makes more sense. This was the first time I was the delegator, not the
> delegatee :)
>
> And, again, thanks for the archive reference. Sometimes even coming up with
> the right key words for me proves difficult.
>
> ===
> Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile ||     @
>      ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org     ||  !_ \
> "Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
> mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
> king." Chinese Proverb

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B