UNIX and win2k dns question

BRANCH DONALD DBRANCH at ibjus.com
Wed May 16 21:04:40 UTC 2001

Dale

	I put into test the scenario on page 525 in the New DNS and Bind
4th Edition book.  This scenario has you creating special zone files that
are open for Dynamic update that windows 2000 active servers write to.  This
scenario worked well for me because I don't have to open my main zone files
up for Dynamic update.  I did note one error in the books configuration they
have three of the four zones writing to the same file. Caused a lot errors
can't be done. I did send a email to O'reilly about that.  Don't let the
windows guys fool you you don't have to let the client machine use dynamic
update there is an option in windows to turn that automatic register off.
The servers can turn off automatic registering off to but active directory
needs to use dynamic update.

Donald Branch