Simple Question ...

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Fri May 18 09:51:20 UTC 2001

>Hi,
>I have a simple question

too simple

>  ... could someone enlighten me as the the files
>that I _need_ for a server that will be :
>
>primary for 'company.france.com'
>
>and ...
>
>secondary for 'company.us.com'
>
>I have the /etc/named.conf file and when I check it with ...
>
># /usr/local/sbin/named-checkconf /etc/named.conf
>the default for the 'auth-nxdomain' option is now 'no'
>
>Irrespective of how much I look, I cannot find the authoritive syntax of
>the files I need.

get the book DNS&BIND, 4th edition.  You´re not even to square one.

>   One source calls the named.ca file 'named.ca', another
>calls it the 'root.hints' ... do I need a localhost file, or a
>localhost.rev file ?
>
>Help !!  I'm writing these files by hand in order to learn as much as
>possible

then "read" before "write"   :)))

>, but without the proper syntax, I'm going to be banging my head
>off the wall for a while to come.  I know _something_'not right ...

yep, you haven´t RTFM at all, afaics.

big picture:  you need named.conf with zone statements for the two domains
and then the db.zonefiles for the zone us.com and france.com.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.3 "NT3" for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways