Setting Up Secondary Server ...

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri May 18 14:41:55 UTC 2001

> Le 17.05.01, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com a écrit :
>
> >	Well there is always the documentation that comes with 9.1.2.
> >	You have read bind-9.1.2/doc/misc/migration-4to9?
> >	You have looked at bind-9.1.2/contrib/named-bootconf?
> >	You have looked at the Administators Reference Manual,
> >	bind-9.1.2/doc/arm?
>
> Thanks, but the documentation does not give the names of the files
> required.  The two sources I'm working from, are the documentation, and
> the ripe site that someone posted.  These two sources contradict each
> other.  :(

	Well 'named' reads /etc/named.conf by default, though you
	can tell it to use a file with a differnet name.  All the
	other files are named in the contents of /etc/named.conf.

	Pick a scheme that allows you to know what is in a file
	without having to look at its contents or /etc/named.conf.

	I personally use:
	master/<nameofzone>
	slave/<nameofzone>

	Others use:
	<nameofzone>.db (db = database) and <nameofzone>.bk  (bk == backup)

	Really big sites use several levels of directory so that no individual
	directory is to large.  Really large dirctories take measurable amount
	of time to search.
	e.g.
	a/b/c/abc.com and e/x/a/example.com

	Mark