The disgusting and useless nslookup

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue May 29 16:40:33 UTC 2001

>how many admins around the world do you
>expect will actually follow the same kind process

I guess every one -- at least those who want to avoid the ISC version ;>)

>and how many users of nslookup around the world do you expect will
>understand these kinds of differences?

If they have good admins, they don't have to :)

>But you're better off to start using as a regular course a much
>more generally dependable tool, such as dig.

Again, I agree, for DNS problems.
But, we were (lately in the thread) talking about resolver issues -- at
least that's what I (and some others) pointed out as a use for 'nslookup'.
Otherwise, using 'dig', then *you* have to emulate the resolver code :)

Of course, if Jim had his way, then there would be no "resolver code",
everyone would be using FQDNs, and then all admins could throw away
everything except 'dig' -- and the world would be a simpler, better place
for all :)

Tks          |  BVance at sbm.com
BV           |  BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sr. Tech. Consultant,    SBM
Vox 770-623-3430         11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429         Duluth, GA 30097-1511