Newbie: 'rndc reload' says "connection refused" problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu May 31 07:41:18 UTC 2001

    JC> I try to get BIND 9.1.2 to reload it's config and zone files
    JC> by using the rndc reload command but I get a "Connection
    JC> refused" message on the console.

That means there's nothing for rdnc to connect to. You've not got a
controls{} statement in named.conf telling the name server to create
and listen on the control socket that rndc wants to connect to. It also
means you've not checked the list archives. This question has been
asked and answered many times.