Lookup of corp.supernews.co.uk fails with bind 8.2.3

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 2 00:22:10 UTC 2001

These folks have buried themselves under their own glue. co.uk delegates
supernews.co.uk to newdns.supernews.com and newdns2.supernews.com (which doesn't
match what's in the supernews.co.uk NS records, by the way). supernews.com is
then delegated to a couple of supernews.net nameservers, and then *finally* the
supernews.net domain is delegated to supernews.net nameservers and so the .net
nameserver can provide the appropriate glue records. I think BIND 8 is having
problems fetching all of that glue (it lacks what is called "query restart"). If
you queried the name enough times, BIND 8 should eventually be able to resolve
it. Querying newdns.supernews.com explicitly partially shortcuts the whole
process. This problem is probably more pronounced than usual because a lot of the
gTLD servers overlap and therefore happen to have glue for each other's
nameservers, but when you throw a ccTLD (.uk) into the mix, there's less "shared
knowledge" between TLD servers and therefore more work for your nameserver to do.

- Kevin