Introducing freeware dnsupdate - create/update (dynamic) DNS tables

gopakumar.pillai at hybrid.com gopakumar.pillai at hybrid.com
Fri May 4 15:54:10 UTC 2001

Hi Kevin,
With BIND 8 there is very limite dynamic update possible. Hosts and aliases
could be added or deleted dynamically. Adding nameservers have some problem.
So just with dynamic update one may not be able to live.

If u r talking of directly doing a dynamic update thru an Apache module
kinda thing, I understand. If u r thinking of cgi scripts then u can still
write one to use my dnsupdate. dnsupdate does use dynamic update for hosts
and aliases. It can still do the rest of it by directly writing to the file.

About the hosts file, I couldn't find any known format, otherwise to use. If
one has to create from scratch, this definitely would be useful. But if you
have your DNS already setup for dynamic update, you need not use dnsupdate
-f option. Only with -f option (to recreate all) it needs a hosts file.

If u r planning to write a web front end, and if u r ready to share it, I
would be happy to add it to the project page,
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/dnsupdate

--Gopu