Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA question

Michael Hench mhench at neumark.com
Fri May 4 18:57:35 UTC 2001

I have a question about classless in-addr.arpa delegation.  I have read
through RFC 2317 and made some sense of it, which is a wonder in and of
itself for me.  Our office is physically moving, and with that move we are
going with a new service provider.  We use to have two class C networks, but
we are getting pinched on the new network and only getting 64 addresses.
Our new network is 66.100.28.0/26.

We have handled and want to continue handling all the reverse records for
our servers.  Correct me anywhere I may stumble or be incorrect in my
reading, but according to the RFC, the "preferred" way of doing it is for
the ISP to hold CNAME records in their zone file for the particular
in-addr.arpa zone.  Then the customer (us) can have "normal" control over
our own address space and use PTR records like we would if we were
administering the entire /24 network, except that we can't infringe on the
neighboring address blocks.

So, I have two questions:
A) does the address format in the $ORIGIN line in our zone file have to
match the address format that is used by our provider for the CNAME alias?
B) When I asked the provider question A about their CNAME records, they said
"we delegate by NS records, so your entire IP range points to your name
servers."  ???  Isn't some sort of support (i.e. zone entries as per the
RFC) on their part required in order for the whole scheme to work?  That's
how I understood it, but you are all smarter than me, so I am asking you....

Thanks in advance,

Mike Hench
Systems Engineer
Neumark Technology Group