Getting rndc to reload remote computer

Marco Paulo Rodrigues drkangel at drkangel.org
Wed May 9 15:24:49 UTC 2001

	Hello I've setup bind 9.1.2 successfuly using rndc to reload, etc
a server locally. I'm trying to setup rndc to reload another named server
remotely. This is the following setup, lets say dns01 is the computer I
want to be restarted remotely and dns02 is the computer trying to restart
dns01 remotely.

rndc.conf file on dns01

key key_rndc {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "reAinvsEYfTvRrfleyGsug==";
};

options {
        default-server 192.168.0.202;
        default-key key_rndc;
};

<snip> named.conf on dns01

key key_rndc {algorithm hmac-md5; secret "reAinvsEYfTvRrfleyGsug=="; };
controls {inet 192.168.0.202 port 953 allow {localhost;192.168.0.208;}
keys {key_rndc;} ; };

<snip>

rndc.conf on dns02

key key_rndc {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "thS+q3LZ0o0yJm3NUPs3QA==";
};

key urania {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "reAinvsEYfTvRrfleyGsug==";
};

options {
        default-server 192.168.0.208;
        default-key key_rndc;
};

server urania {
        key urania;
};

Now when I try to reload dns01 with the command "rndc -s urania reload" I
get the following error rndc: send remote authenticator: permission
denied  . I've searched the archives in search for this error and nothing
seemed to come up, if somsone can just point me in the right direction I
would appreciate it.

Thanks!

--
"Sanity is calming, but madness is far more interesting."