Not able to resolve external names

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Nov 6 18:11:34 UTC 2001

In article <9s98ju$nak at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
John Ross  <john.ross at informix.com> wrote:
>Could you give me a couple of examples to try?  What am I looking for?

Use "dig www.something.com a", where www.something.com is a name that
should be found but fails (e.g. www.yahoo.com).  If the result contains
"status: NXDOMAIN", look in the Authority section of the reply.  If it
contains NS records for the root domain that aren't like
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, or NS records for COM that aren't like
A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET, then your cache has been poisoned.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA