Not able to resolve external names

John Ross john.ross at informix.com
Tue Nov 6 20:01:51 UTC 2001

1) What if it times out?  What does that mean? (well, besides that fact that
it isn't working :-( )

Server-in-question#./dig www.yahoo.com a

; <<>> DiG 2.0 <<>> www.yahoo.com a
;; res_send to server default -- 0.0.0.0: Connection timed out

If I specify a root name server by IP address @198.41.0.4
(A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET), or one of the DNS servers at my site, I get what you
would expect.

I have verified both with traceroute through port 53, and with uunet that
port 53 is not blocked at the firewall.  This is really perplexing to me.  I
am obviously not an expert, but I have never seen anything like this where I
have no clue as to what the problem is.

John
--
John Ross
Systems Management Integration Professional - Adv

 <http://www.ksu.edu>