use a domain in an A record?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 7 20:44:46 UTC 2001

> Jeffrey J. Bacon wrote:
> >
> > Can I use do this:
> >
> > mydomain.ca. IN A someotherdomain.ca.
> >
> > or do I have to use an IP where I have someotherdomain.ca
>
> address records map names to IP addresses, so no.
>
> you could do:
> mydomain.ca.	IN CNAME someotherdomain.ca.
>
> provided that 'mydomain.ca' isn't going to be used as an MX or NS
> record.  in general it's cleaner to use A records unless absolutely
> necessary (IMHO at least)....

But with a domain name like mydomain.ca, it's a darn good bet
that the original poster is talking about the domain name of
his zone, which already has an SOA record and NS records
attached to it.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes