use a domain in an A record?

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Nov 7 20:45:48 UTC 2001

Or SOA. In general it is safe to say that you cannot CNAME a SLD
(second level domain).

However, you could do (for example)

	www.mydomain.ca. IN CNAME www.someotherdomain.ca.

And repeat it for the required records.

As far as using CNAMEs, I guess there are about as many different
opinions as there are DNS admins. For me, they saved me from having to
manually update some 35 zones (perhaps 70-80 CNAMEs that would
otherwise have been A RRs) when my IPs changed abruptly. (And no, I
didn't have time to find or write a tool to automate the process - I
was literally caught on the bed by my ISP when they called and said
that they had finished the router reconfiguration.)

Michael Kjörling

On Nov 7 2001 12:30 -0800, Will Yardley wrote:

> Jeffrey J. Bacon wrote:
> >
> > Can I use do this:
> >
> > mydomain.ca. IN A someotherdomain.ca.
> >
> > or do I have to use an IP where I have someotherdomain.ca
>
> address records map names to IP addresses, so no.
>
> you could do:
> mydomain.ca.	IN CNAME someotherdomain.ca.
>
> provided that 'mydomain.ca' isn't going to be used as an MX or NS
> record.  in general it's cleaner to use A records unless absolutely
> necessary (IMHO at least)....

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e   \/
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4

"There is something to be said about not trying to be glamorous
and popular and cool. Just be real -- and life will be real."
(Joyce Sequichie Hifler, September 13 2001, www.hifler.com)