Follow-up: request storms from Windows

Ian Watts ian at radix.net
Thu Nov 15 22:28:01 UTC 2001

A while ago I mentioned that I was occasionally seeing large numbers of
identical queries coming from local Win2K Active Directory servers.  Just
yesterday one of them was generating 2,500 identical queries per second.

There appears to be a pattern: whenever this happens, it is a request for
a name that is a CNAME for one of the nameservers for that zone.  Possible
AD bug?  Other?

I have not duplicated this behaviour myself, but 3 out of 3 rather
particular records is a pattern in my book.

Examples:
ns1.poweruser.com
artemis.acs.bethel.edu
wks01.clickcom.com

Although there must be a newsgroup for Active Directory issues, this may
in fact be something completely different and it impacts us BIND users
negatively.  Anyone have any input on this problem?

--
Ian Watts