Follow-up: request storms from Windows

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Nov 16 17:51:03 UTC 2001

Ian Watts <ian at radix.net> wrote:

>A while ago I mentioned that I was occasionally seeing large numbers of
>identical queries coming from local Win2K Active Directory servers.  Just
>yesterday one of them was generating 2,500 identical queries per second.
>
>There appears to be a pattern: whenever this happens, it is a request for
>a name that is a CNAME for one of the nameservers for that zone.  Possible
>AD bug?  Other?
>
>I have not duplicated this behaviour myself, but 3 out of 3 rather
>particular records is a pattern in my book.
>
>Examples:
>ns1.poweruser.com
>artemis.acs.bethel.edu
>wks01.clickcom.com
>
>Although there must be a newsgroup for Active Directory issues, this may
>in fact be something completely different and it impacts us BIND users
>negatively.  Anyone have any input on this problem?

What is your DNS configuration?  I am assuming that an W2k AD machine
was sending multiple DNS lookup requests to your BIND server.  You
say that the names being queried are CNAMEs for nameservers.  I wonder
if there are DNS zones that have these CNAMEs in NS records.  I know
that NS records cannot point to CNAMEs, but if this were to occur and
W2k were attempting to contact the real nameserver, would it get into
a loop?  I would suggest contacting Microsoft support.  I do not have
enough information to attempt to reproduce the problem here.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov