Follow-up: request storms from Windows

Ian Watts ian at radix.net
Fri Nov 16 21:25:29 UTC 2001

Okay, it turns out that this problem arises when the AD servers do a
lookup for an IP address where the ARPA zone has a CNAME for an NS record.

Example:

ian at squid:~$ dig 88.140.in-addr.arpa ns +short
artemis.acs.bethel.edu.
ian at squid:~$ dig artemis.acs.bethel.edu.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0rc7 <<>> artemis.acs.bethel.edu.
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;artemis.acs.bethel.edu.                IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
artemis.acs.bethel.edu. 517962  IN      CNAME   amidala.bnet.bethel.edu.
amidala.bnet.bethel.edu. 517962 IN      A       140.88.128.1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bethel.edu.             517962  IN      NS      ns2.onvoy.net.
bethel.edu.             517962  IN      NS      ns1.bethel.edu.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.bethel.edu.         517962  IN      A       140.88.128.1
ns2.onvoy.net.          166593  IN      A       206.9.64.104

;; Query time: 12 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Nov 16 16:21:21 2001
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 160

I have asked the admins of the Windows servers to "Secure cache against
pollution", i.e. disable glue fetching.  When they get around to it I'll
let you know if it makes a difference.

And since you ask, the AD servers are forwarding to my BIND nameservers
everything that's not in their "domains".

-- Ian Watts