Help with DNS Glue records and where SOA record resides

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Oct 3 20:07:17 UTC 2001

In article <9pfou1$8sf at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Steddy Man <stephen.eddy at btinernet.com> wrote:
>I have created A and NS records on my own DNS server present on
>ns1.gigabytesol.com and ns2.gigabytesol.com, but because I am not
>authorative for the domain, this may be why I have problems.  My ISP
>says he is unable to create A records for my name servers in the
>Gigabytesol.com domain (don't ask), and that they are not required
>anyway since the glue records take care of it (remember I am
>attempting to host other domain using these name servers too).

They're wrong.

Sometime in the past week I posted a message with lots of details
explaining why you need to duplicate the glue records on the authoritative
servers, so I'm not going to repeat it.  Do a Google search for my previous
message.  But here's a brief summary: if a server has timed out the cached
glue records, but still has the NS records in its cache, it won't go to the
root servers so it won't look up the glue records, because you only go to
root servers when you don't have any more specific NS records in your
cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA