Creating Single Domain from split DNS

laura.l.herndon at accenture.com laura.l.herndon at accenture.com
Thu Oct 4 13:26:59 UTC 2001

> > $TTL 14400
> > $ORIGIN accenture.com.
> >@       SOA     amrns1001.accenture.com.  hostmaster.accenture.com. (
> >
> >                        2001090401 ;serial
> >                        3600    ;refresh
> >                        900     ;retry
> >                        3600000 ;expire
> >                        14400 ) ;minim
> >;

> Uh oh. This zonefile won't load as "internal.accenture.com" because you
have
> an explicit $ORIGIN here, so the "@" SOA record will be interpreted as
being
> owned by "accenture.com". Since an "accenture.com" SOA record doesn't
belong
> in the "internal.accenture.com" zone, named will fail to load this zone,
> complaining about "out of zone data".

> Why don't you just eliminate the $ORIGIN entirely? That way the default
origin
> will be "accenture.com" when loaded as "accenture.com" and
> "internal.accenture.com" when loaded as "internal.accenture.com".

Doh!  I just cut and pasted from the current file, so I'll make sure that
comes out.

Am I right in understanding that everything will still resolve and mail
will work because the IPs aren't going to change?  Also, we'll still only
have a single reverse file - should that stay 'accenture.com'?  When we
finally get to the single domain model, we'll fix that, but that's still
about a year off, it looks like.  Any idea what might break in that time?

> > ;
> >accenture.com.  NS      amrns1001.accenture.com.
> >accenture.com.  NS      apans1001.accenture.com.
> >accenture.com.  NS      emens1001.accenture.com.
> >accenture.com. NS   dalns1012.accenture.com.
> >accenture.com. NS   dalns1013.accenture.com.
> >;

> Because you have fully-qualified the owner names here, these NS records
are
> also "out of zone data" for internal.accenture.com and would cause the
zone
> load to fail. This is true regardless of whether you have an $ORIGIN in
the
> file or not, since fully-qualified names effectively override $ORIGIN.

> Why don't you just eliminate the $ORIGIN, use relative names, e.g.
> "alltel" for names that you want to be relative to the zone name, e.g.
> "alltel" + "internal.accenture.com" = "alltel.internal.accenture.com",
and use
> fully-qualified names for everything else?

Thanks.  I wasn't sure what would happen to our nameservers if I started
playing around with their names.  About the shortcuts - If I use a FQDN for
something outside of Accenture, will that carry down to the next record?
Do I just need to make sure all FQDNs are at the bottom of the zone and
nothing goes after them?

Many thanks,
Laura

privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.