odd reverse delegation problem

Thomas R. Wike twike at unix01.voicenet.com
Fri Oct 5 18:39:48 UTC 2001

Background:
The company I work for has a number of full class C networks which we use.
Approximately 6 weeks ago we upgraded our DNS servers (1 master, 1 slave)
from Bind 4.9.7 to 9.1.3.  Approximately 3 weeks ago, we started to
receive complaints that reverse lookups were failing on most of our class
C networks.  Checking out the DNS servers from our upstread ISP, I was
able to see that our DNS servers were listed as the NS records for all of
our class C networks.  We did not add or remove any of the reverse DNS
zones from our DNS servers as a result of the upgrade (or since the
upgrade). Reverse lookups worked for us, but not from the internet at
large.