odd reverse delegation problem

Thomas R. Wike twike at unix01.voicenet.com
Fri Oct 5 22:39:11 UTC 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <9pkvp3$ldl at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Thomas R. Wike <twike at unix01.voicenet.com> wrote:
> >Question:
> >I can't determine why the reverse DNS would suddenly stop working.
>
> Follow the chain of delegation records down from the root servers and see
> where they stop.  The administrator of the last server you encounter needs
> to implement the fix.

The NS record for the /8 points to ARIN's servers.
ARIN's servers show no NS records for the /16.
ARIN's servers show the NS records for the /24 point to ns.<oldISP>.com
ns.<oldISP>.com shows the NS records for the /24 pointing to my DNS
servers.

So I believe the solution would be to ask ARIN to change the NS records
for the /24 to point to my DNS servers instead of ns.<oldISP>.com.

> >Can anyone provide a reasonable guess as to why the reverse DNS suddenly
> >stopped working about 3 weeks ago?
> >Was there some sort of transition or event which may have occured at ARIN
> >or elsewhere that flushed a (potentially very) old cache?
>
> ARIN's delegations used to be installed directly on the root servers, but a
> few weeks ago delegations for all the /8's that ARIN is delegating out of
> were put on the root servers, pointing to ARIN's servers.
>
> 209.in-addr.arpa.	1D IN NS	ARROWROOT.ARIN.NET.
> 209.in-addr.arpa.	1D IN NS	JERK.ARIN.NET.
>
> However, unless ARIN messed up something in moving the sub-delegations to
> their servers, I don't see why this should cause any change in being able
> to resolve something.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
> Genuity, Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

Thanks for the information. I have been driving myself nuts trying to
prove that whatever happened wasn't related to our Bind upgrade.

Tom