Questions on setting up BIND

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Mon Oct 8 15:09:54 UTC 2001

>     We are in the process of re-doing our DNS for msmisp.com.  We have
> been running
>Windows NT version and have been having several problems.  I have gotten
>the BIND
>v8.2.5 installed on a different PC with all of the zones recreated.  The
>question I have
>is the proper way to implement it.  All of our domain registrations with
>Network
>Solutions points to 207.79.8.67 (routermsm) and 207.79.8.66 (news).  I am
>wanting
>to change the names of the servers that will be hosting the DNS records to
>something
>more standard (ie: NS1 & NS2).

good, no need to be creative for infrastructure hostnames.

>after removing the WINNT DNS and putting in BIND, have the new names
>reflected in
>the db.msmisp.com file.  Should I setup a CNAME to point to the old
>routermsm name
>until we can make the appropriate changes on Network Solutions or does the
>name listed
>even matter?

RULE:  delegation data (NS and A rec's in the zone parent) and zone data
(corresponding NS and A rec's in the zone file) must match.

RULE: Don't use a CNAME for a NS, use only canonical hostname in an NS
RDATA field.

>   I will also be changing the secondary name server to a different IP address
>on a different segment vs what it is currently (news @
>207.79.8.66)  Currently, there is no
>server even at that address.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

modifying with your delegated NS's (names and/or ip´s) can only be done via
your registrar to get the data changed in the zone parent NS (eg,
a.gTLD-servers.net).  You cannot affect the TTL in those records, they're
fixed at 2Days:

# dig @a.gtld-servers.net msmisp.com ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net msmisp.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      msmisp.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
msmisp.com.             2D IN NS        NEWS.msmisp.com.
msmisp.com.             2D IN NS        ROUTERMSM.msmisp.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
NEWS.msmisp.com.        2D IN A         207.79.8.66
ROUTERMSM.msmisp.com.   2D IN A         207.79.8.67

If you change those hostnames and ip's, then you have to change the
"delegation records" for all your domains.  There is a "mass" change page
at netsol, I've heard.

The smoothest changeover is to maintain the current NS hostnames and ip's
functioning in parallel with the new NS hostnames and ip's.  do this by "ip
alias" on your NS boxes.

1. I recommend that you create ns1 and ns now, both with different ip's
from your current NS's. Let that change become effective.

2. Approaching the domains' delegation data changeover date, reduce your
zone file TTL's to 1 hour or less.

3. submit the mass modification of the domains' delegation data.

In the changeover phase, with both the old and new NS's responding, queries
will be answered.  As the old delegation data expires, the changeover will
be complete and ns1 and ns2 will be taking all queries.

Len