Distinct Mailservers for Subdomains?

Cameron Turner cam at turner.fm
Mon Oct 15 16:21:01 UTC 2001

Hello,

I think this is a simple problem, but I haven't been able to find a
solution in the archives.

I have the following DNS record (best viewed in fixed width):

$TTL 86500
@ IN SOA mydomain.ca. webmaster.mydomain.ca. (
      ; expiry stuff here
)

; NS RRs
@                 IN NS    ns1.myotherdomain.ca.
@                 IN NS    ns2.myotherdomain.ca.

; Names that NEED IP addresses
mydomain.ca.      IN A     66.38.175.233
mail              IN A     66.38.175.235

; Mailers
mydomain.ca.      IN MX 0  mail.mydomain.ca.

; Standard Aliases
www               IN CNAME mydomain.ca.
ftp               IN CNAME mydomain.ca.

; Additional Sub Domains
dev               IN A     66.38.175.234
subdomain         IN A     205.X.X.X

What I need to do is setup another mail server entry (MX entry) for
"subdomain", so that user at subdomain.mydomain.ca will be routed to 205.X.X.Y
instead of 66.38.175.235.

The user who owns subdomain does NOT want to manage a DNS server, but does
want to manage a private mail server.

Thus any mail sent to a user at mydomain.ca would be sent on to my mail server
at 66.38.175.235 where it would get handled and delivered, but for mail
sent to user at subdomain.mydomain.ca it would be sent on to 205.X.X.Y for
processing.

I could probably figure out a hack with my email server, but there are
going to be HUNDREDS of subdomains that will need this capability, each
handling their own mail (and web), but not DNS.

Thanks for any solutions/help/suggestions/pointers to FAQs you might have,

Cam