serial number sync problem, but only some zones

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 18 23:38:07 UTC 2001

Kathy Kost wrote:

> I'm hoping there is an easy fix that I'm just not seeing here, but
> I have a problem with some of my zone files not staying in sync with
> the primary server.  I have a primary server and then two secondaries
> (these are just internal to the company, not external to the world).
> This is with BIND 8.2.2-P7 on Solaris 2.6 with both secondaries set to
> receive updates only from the primary.  One of the secondaries works
> fine,
> but with the other one about 1/2 of the zone files manage to get much
> higher serial numbers than the primary and don't transfer the zones upon
>
> updates.  The other zone files work fine and get updated.  I've tried
> wiping out the zone files on the secondary and restarting named, but
> still
> this behavior persists.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What *exactly* is the definition of the zone on the slaves? In particular,
are the "masters" lists identical between the slave which is having the
problem, and the one which isn't? Also, I'm a little confused as to what
you mean by your statement that the secondaries are "set to receive updates
only from the primary". The closest thing I can think of is an
"allow-notify" directive, but "allow-notify" didn't show up until
BIND 9....