Secondary DNS Problem (?)

aaabyss at a-aabyss.com aaabyss at a-aabyss.com
Fri Oct 19 19:48:39 UTC 2001

On 19 Oct 2001, at 5:15, Chris Cameron wrote:

> Hope someone here is able to help with a little problem I have. I'm a
> bit new to DNS (halfway through DNS and BIND), so I appologize if I've
> overlooked something large.
>
> I've recently tried to change the DNS servers of a domain (upnix.com).
> After a week of nothing happening I talked to a guy and Verisign who
> didn't speak the clearest english. What he was saying (that I could
> understand) was that my secondary IP pointed to my primary. This makes
> little sense to me, and he probably meant something other than what I
> was hearing.
>
> My DNS setup consists of two OpenBSD machine (2.9 and 3.0-beta). Both
> run BIND 4.9.8-REL.
> dns.upnix.net
> 207.153.6.66
> dns2.upnix.net
> 24.64.80.251
>
> Those servers currently only look after two domains. upnix.net iteself,
> and a .co.uk domain. Neither have had any problem in using those dns
> servers.
>
> If someone would be able to tell me if there's anything obviously wrong
> It'd be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't be surprised if the secondary
> had a problem as it's just an @home address, but I can't figure out what
> could be special about that address that could prevent DNS from working
> right.
>

> Thank you for your time,
> Chris Cameron

Chris,

Your domain (upnix.com) is pointing to the following:
   NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM		216.34.13.236
   NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM		64.75.34.132
   Record last updated on 18-Oct-2001.
which obviously is not what you want ....

Possible/probable reasons:
it appears you haven't changed the domain servers for the domain.
you haven't registered your hosts that are running cns.

your servers show correct forward but incorrect reverse:

dns.upnix.net.
    207.153.6.66

**complete**
66.6.153.207.in-addr.arpa.