Secondary DNS Problem (?)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Oct 19 19:46:12 UTC 2001

In article <9qpuvr$93q at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <aaabyss at a-aabyss.com> wrote:
>rest still applies:
>your servers show correct forward but incorrect reverse:

So?  Nothing in the DNS resolution mechanism performs a reverse lookup of
the nameserver addresses.

And his reverse DNS isn't incorrect.  The names that his addresses resolve
to *do* exist in the ISPs' domains.  They're just different from the names
he's registering.  There's nothing wrong with two names resolving to the
same IP address, it's quite common, and there's no requirement to have
multiple reverse entries that match all of them (in fact, I generally
recommend against it).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA