Q: how can i resolve a domain to show all hosts?

Linus Corin bind-ml at linus.uk.telia.net
Tue Oct 23 17:02:47 UTC 2001

This will actually just show an A and NS records for the domain if
existent, or the SOA record if not. To display all records in the domain,
one of the authoritative name servers must allow zone transfers from where
you are. The command named-xfer, or "ls -d" in nslookup will perform this.

$ nslookup
server ns1.example.com
ls -d example.com

or
$ named-xfer -z example.com -f /tmp/example.com -s 1 ns1.example.com

Regards,
Linus Corin

PS: Solaris is a Unix operating system. The commands dig, named-xfer and
nslookup are distributed as a part of the BIND dns server. Some
operating systems provide their own versions of these tools.

The email address used is currently valid, but to be sure to reach me,
send to domain corin.net, user linus.