ports named uses

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Oct 24 22:06:16 UTC 2001

In article <9r7csb$ig0 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
sally wong  <sywong10 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am having problem to pull zone files from my primary
>server.  The zone files on the secondary server was
>initually created but it was always timed out and
>never completed.
>
>I am wondering if it has anything to do with how our
>network is set up.  Also, I am question about what is
>the port DNS use to pull the zone files?  Is named
>using port 53?  does named use other ports for
>anything else?

Zone transfers use TCP connections to port 53 on the master server; the
port on the slave will be a random high-numbered port.

Before pulling the zone transfer the slave will first query the master for
the zone's serial number.  This uses UDP to port 53 on the master server.
The port on the slave server will normally be a random high-numbered port,
but you can use the 'query-source' option in named.conf to hard-code a
specific port.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA