I'm so confused

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 09:39:06 UTC 2001

Rick Hagedorn wrote:

> The only way I've found to *not* get the "ignoring out-of-zone data" error
> is to configure zone files that match the IP addresses on interfaces.

Out of zone data means that the data in a zone file is for
another zone.

I suspect you are making an error when editing the files. Send
an example zone file that produces the errors.

> Although I was convinced that I needed a NAT free set-up to be the authority
> for my zone, I heard otherwise.  Here's what I was told:

NAT is totally independent of DNS. CISCO offer a dynamic DNS
feature for their NAT to allow people to set up tunnel through
NAT on demand, this allows a small public address space to
provide connectivity for a large number of servers in a dynamic
fashion, but that is the exception not the rule.

> I'm inclined to believe it, but I'm missing something.

Zone files for public consumption never have private addresses
in.

> It would seem possible for a nameserver to be authoritative for a zone that
> isn't on the network of the nameserver--after all, it's often recommended
> that one of your nameservers be on another network.  Not that I can afford
> to take that advice.

There are companies that provide this free for small companies,
see the list archive as the quality is variable.