I'm so confused

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Oct 30 14:49:36 UTC 2001

In article <9rl1r7$ih4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Rick Hagedorn <hagedorn at ameritech.net> wrote:
>When I did dig -x 66.73.83.41 (one of "my" IPs), the result was from the
>ISP.
>
>Is there a limitation to this set-up?  Does it mean that I can't set a
>reverse lookup or something?  Because when I try "telnet students.uiuc.edu"

Consumer ISPs generally don't offer customer reverse DNS delegation.

>I'm told by their network "Your machine is not allowed to connect to this
>host due to your host not being properly registered in the DNS...This
>indicates a problem with the DNS at YOUR end...Consult your local network
>administrator to get your faulty entry fixed."  The "host" in this scenario
>is probably 66.73.83.46 (NAT).
>
>Is there a "fault" with the DNS entry that I can remedy?  Would you need
>more information from my config files to answer that?

This is a fault of the ISP.  They *should* have DNS entries for all their
customers' addresses (typically they point to names like
host123-456.dialup.company.net), but Ameritech apparently doesn't.  There's
nothing you can do, this is something they should fix, so you should report
the problem to their Customer Support Department.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA